Party Walls

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to building work affecting party and boundary walls and involving excavations near neighbouring buildings.

Anyone proposing to carry out work of the type described in the Act must give notice of their intentions to neighbours. Neighbours can agree or disagree with what is proposed and where there is a disagreement one or more surveyors must be appointed. Lawrence-Vacher has extensive experience of this complex legislation.

If you are intending to carry out works to a party wall or build near to a neighbouring building or structure, we can advise you on the service of the notice, or serve the notice on your behalf. If your neighbour disagrees with your proposals, we can act as your party wall surveyor in the preparation of an Award to enable your works to proceed.

If you receive a notice from your neighbour, we can act as your party wall surveyor, scrutinise the proposals and ensure that suitable precautions are taken to prevent your property being damaged. After the work is completed we inspect your property again to check that it is unaffected or, if damage has been caused, determine with your neighbour’s surveyor the necessary remedial work.

We are also able to act as an agreed surveyor where both parties concur in such an appointment.

The Department of Communities and Local Government publish a useful guide to the Act which we can provide or can be obtained from local authority offices via this link:

My lease was due to consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.